This is easy enough on an absolute scale but can be a bit of a nightmare if you're windows-oriented (as I unfortunately am ... but I am trying to snap out of it).
Here's a list of steps:
- Create amazon instance with a new key pair
- Save your private key to a known location (it's a .pem file you'll download in the process)
- Make sure the folder with the private key has appropriate access otherwise it won't work (e.g. on mac: chmod -R 700 path/to/pvtk).
- In the EC2 dashboard go the the security group settings for the instance and open ssh port 22
- Connect: ssh -i path/to/key/myKey.pem firstname.lastname@example.org
An alternative to referencing your key on the ssh command is to add it via ssh-add (on mac).
Another thing you might wanna do is to copy stuff over to the EC2 instance - you can use the scp command:
scp test/winning.txt email@example.com:temp-files/